Mayor Anibal Melendez
Fajardo was founded in 1760, 1773 or 1774 (depending on the authority) as Santiago de Fajardo. It was one of the locations used by the Americans to invade Puerto Rico. On August 1, 1898 the USS Puritan under the command of Captain Frederic W. Rodgers, was sailing by the coastline of the city of Fajardo, when Rogers noticed the "Faro de Las Cabezas de San Juan" (Cape San Juan lighthouse) which was supposed to be the landing site for the US Army in Puerto Rico. Rodgers ordered some of his men ashore, which included Puerto Rican volunteers, with the mission of posting the American Flag atop the lighthouse.
Fajardo is one of the most originally beautiful spots on the island's shores. Fajardo is a major boating center, with a wide range of rentals and charters available, with daily and sport-diving excursions as well as scheduled ferries and air service carrying passengers and cargo to Culebra and Vieques. Puerto del Rey Marina, home of 750 ships, is the largest in the Caribbean.
Fajardo's beautifull beaches are bounded by calm, clear water ideal for
snorkeling, Seven Seas Beach, offers plentiful water sports facilities,
offshore points for sailing, snorkeling and plenty of scuba diving.
|MAYOR||Hon. Aníbal Meléndez Rivera|
|POPULATION||40,712 inhabitants (Est. 2000)|
|TOWN'S PATRON SAINT||Santiago Apostol|
|PEOPLE KNOW AS||Fajardeños|
|CITY KNOW AS||The city of the rising sun|
COAD OF ARMS
Accommodations at Fajardo
1000 El Conquitador Avenue
52 Beltran St.
Las Casitas Village
Las Croabas 1000 Conquistador Ave.
Las Delicias Hotel
449 Union Street
Parador La Familia
Route 897, Km 4.1, CH-00867
Box 4309, 52 P. Beltran, Puerto Real