Puerto Rico Flag  Ceiba  

 



 

Mayor Gilberto

Mayor Gilberto "LEX" Camacho Parrilla

 

 Ceiba History


       Foundation: Luis de la Cruz founded Ceiba on April 7, 1838. The name derives from the Taíno word "seyba", a native tree of Puerto Rico "ceiba pentandra". It is admired because of its powerful architectural grayish trunk, which has thorns. Its roots can extend for miles. There was the belief that at some time there was a forest of these trees and for that reason the town was named after them. Though Ceiba is also known as the town of the Soup Eaters (Come Sopas), there is no official reason why the Ceibeños are so called.

The town of Ceiba was part of the Fajardo district until the May 12, 1838. To separate themselves from Fajardo, a local group of the population wrote to the governor. Although they had some opposition, they finally obtained their separation in 1838.
Ceiba served as home to the U.S. Naval base Roosevelt Roads. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt ordered the construction of the facility in 1940 and it was finished in 1943. It has served as a training base for Navy ships and aircraft since World War II.

 

Maps and Pictures

Ceiba Barrios  Plaza Felisa Rincon   Ceiba Mayor Office

Los Machos Public Beach  Rio Grande Plantation   Westin Rio Mar

 

          

 

 MAYOR  Hon. Gilberto "LEX" Camacho Parrilla
 FOUNDED  1838
 POPULATION  18,004 inhabitants (Est. 2000)
 TOWN'S PATRON SAINT  San Antonio de Padua
 PEOPLE KNOW AS  Ceibeños (Soup Eaters)
 CITY KNOW AS  Marlin City




 

Click for Ceiba, Puerto Rico Forecast



 

COAT OF ARMS



 

TOWNS FLAG

 

 Accommodations at Ceiba

La Casa de Vida Natural
 
(787) 887-4359

Box 1916
Rio Grande PR
 

Puerto Rico Vacation Villas at Rio Mar Resort
 
(787) 888-1357

Rio Grande, PR
 

Tropical Realty Apartment Villas
 
(787) 888-2060

Rio Grande PR

 

Westin Rio Mar Beach & Country Club
 
(787) 888-6000

6000 Rio Mar Blvd
Rio Grande, PR

 



 


 

pulser



 

Back To Main Page

>